Thursday, January 10, 2008

to prague i go

01.08.08

the departure to prague was off to a rocky start.  i spent last night crying my little eyes out and this morning too.  luckily, when i hit atlanta, i'm pretty sure my tear ducts swelled shut because my eyes stopped flowing and i was able to salvage some dignity that i had lost between boise and georgia.  so from georgia i began a short nine hour and 20 minute flight to praha, czech republic.  armed with two nyquil, harry potter (book on tape), and a cozy blanket (thanks jake and walker!), i was out like a light and woke up only to find the girl next to me climbing over me every two hours to run to the bathroom.  (i'm not sure what was going on with her.)  so i made it.  peter and karola (mom and dad) picked me up from the very simple airport (if you can believe it, it's much smaller than boise's airport) and we made our way to their home.  by this time it's the 9th at around 10:30am.

01.09.08

so, we arrived at their house and it is super nice.  i have my own little space with my own entrance.  it has a tiny kitchen, bathroom, desk and then a big living room area with a tv.  everything is in czech so it does me no good.  looks like tv is on a hold for six months.  then they took me to a greek restaurant for lunch and i was surprised to see that you're allowed to smoke in all czech eating/drinking establishments.  it's really gross.  then we went to pick up the children at the "British School of Prague".  they speak only english there, yet the children still refuse to use it.  who knows why?  christian is 3 and daniel is 4.  daniel is all smiles and very shy.  christian is a holy terror.  that's all the interaction i've had with them this far.  so, at this point i could have fallen asleep standing so i had to take a nap.  two hours later, i woke up with peter (dad) knocking on my door.  they were going to a movie and wanted me to attend.  we saw "american gangster".  maybe they were trying to help me cope with the move?  i felt special because i was the only one who didn't need to read the subtitles.  yes, i fell asleep in this movie as well.

the end.  

3 comments:

cortney said...

hi ms. poppins!
um, i'm not sure if i'm ok with you wandering around foreign countries at night (especially with crazy scary dead birds lurking behind fences!!)
but i am so proud of you!!
can't wait to read more!!

love you!
ciert

Anonymous said...

I, for one, would really appreciate it if you didn't refer to foreign cultures as 'gross.'

That is all.

Love,
Casey

Anonymous said...

hey it's Micah, rad rad rad photos...
that's all I have to say. Pictures are awesome!